Watch the Mane 6 reenact a classic Agatha Christie novel in a particularly tasty pony way.
The Cakes send of Pinkie Pie together with the other Mane 6 on a red-eye to Canterlot escorting their Marzipan Marscarpone Meringue Madness entry into the National Dessert competition. Somehow the jiggly confection makes it onto the train, though Mr. Cake faints three times. Other bakers arrive with their desserts and retire for the evening. By morning, the MMMM has a bite taken from it. Pinkie Pie declares she knows who “dun” it, wakes everybody, and dons a hunter’s cap and bubble pipe. It doesn’t help. Twilight, as Dr. Watson rises to the occasion, which quickly resembles Agatha Christies Murder on the Orient Express.
While the humor in the episode is quite good, the choice bits of visual humor are found Pinkie’s fantasies recounted in movie-like vignettes. What is quite impressive is that the story and animation is true to the murder-mystery genre it spoofs. Watching this episode a second time (recommended) is like watching The Sixth Sense all over again; every clue is plain as day but easily missed the first time through. Watch carefully; witness how well the animators present the story.
What to watch for (and comment upon):
- What previous episode did Donut Joe appear in? Is it odd he resides in Ponyville?
- Who is Mulia Mild modeled after (especially, her voice mannerisms)?
- What three clues did Twilight find?
- Applejack took a bite, too, but lucky for her the scene ended up on the cutting room floor. Rightly, too—making her lie is against her character and would have rang wrong. Note the set up for the cut scene as she drools at the cake after it is brought into the train.
- Name the four confections.
- Based on the character of Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity, is this episode’s plot contrived or realistic? Discuss!