Watch Spike grow up in a bad Godzilla meets King Kong dragon-sort of way.
As Spike’s birthday approaches, he is “ripening” a heart-shaped fire ruby for his birthday dinner. When Rarity sees it, she is entranced. Unable to resist her charms and doe-like eyes, he gives it to her and she gives him a kiss thanking him for his immense generosity. On his birthday, a week later, he receives gifts with surprise him. Moreover, the Cakes having heard about his birthday, bake him a sapphire cupcake. When he bumps into Cheerilee, and she spontaneously gives him a hat, he suddenly realizes he can extort gifts, triggering a greed response that magically causes him to grow in size and avariciousness. Will Ponyville survive?
This Spike centered episode develops what it means to be an Equestrian dragon, and a kid who learns that he can get stuff by asking or extorting his elders. This story plays into the character strengths of the second season, letting characters play age-specific roles. Remember that Spike is, after all, a baby dragon. What I wonder is, who paid to repair Ponyville?
What to watch for (and comment upon):
- What is Spike’s advice to Librarian Sparkle?
- Is this the first time somepony calls Spike “Spikey-wikey”? Whichpony?
- What presents are given Spike? Which does he extort?
- Derpy sighting, where?
- Twilight Sparkle: Pinkie Pie! Stop giving him cake!
Pinkie Pie: I’m not giving him cake, I’m assaulting him with cake!
Spike: [catches a thrown cake, hides it in his cache]
Pinkie Pie: How dare you take the cake! [rimshot]
- Scene cribbed from King Kong. (17:04 in this youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc4F44h4yO8.)
- Followed by Godzilla in Tokyo Ponyville
- Followed by an airplane Wonderbolt attack.
- What saves the day?